Is there any possibility that the Network Operator (DEDDIE) shall distinguish the customers of another Supplier and proceed to their power cut?

No. Since the National Electricity Distribution Network is common for all suppliers and consumers, there is no selective distinction and separation among the customers by the Network Division (DEDDIE).

Who is responsible to attain my meter readings?

The responsibility of measurements for low-voltage meters is borne by the Network Division (DEDDIE) as before. These measurements are sent by the Network Operation Division directly to WATT + VOLT, who will proceed to the billing according to these measurements.

Whom should I contact if I believe that my meter is damaged and must be checked?

If your meter is damaged and must be checked, you must notify HEDNO (Hellenic Electricity Distribution Network Operator).

More specifically, you must fill in the APPLICATION FOR METER INSPECTION (click here to download it) and either send it to WATT+VOLT by email at [email protected] or by fax at 210-3619835, c/o Customer Service Department, or directly to the offices of HEDNO (address: 20 Perraivou & 5 Kallirois Str., 11743, Athens, tel.: 210-9281698, email: [email protected]).

You must fill in the following information:

  1. Number of Meter
  2. Full Name
  3. Address
  4. Amount in EURO*
  5. Location
  6. Date
  7. Signature

*If the inspection shows that the meter functions properly or at 5% by approximation, then you will be charged with the relevant inspection charges:

€29,35 plus V.A.T. for single-phase supply meter

€38,15 plus V.A.T. for three-phase supply meter

€61,63 plus V.A.T. for three-phase supply through current transformer or medium voltage supply

However, if the inspection shows that the meter was not functioning properly, the bill will be corrected and the meter will be replaced at no charge.

For this reason, and in any case, you must first perform an inspection yourselves: Shut down the main switch of your electrical board (in-house installation) and check if the meter’s disk is rotating (which means that it records energy). If the disk is rotating, this means that it is likely that you have an electricity leakage, so you must immediately call an electrician to check your interior electrical installations. If the disk is not rotating, then you must follow the procedure described above.

For further information, which is important that you are aware of (for example, the amount you will be charged with if you refuse inspection during the on-site visit for inspection by HEDNO’s crew), you can visit the website at: http://www.deddie.gr/el/upiresies/vlaves-diakopes-reumatos/vlaves-xrisimes-plirofories.

Who should I contact in case of damage or interruption of electricity sypply?

You ought to contact the Hellenic Electricity Distribution Network Operator (HEDNO). You can see the full list of current contact numbers here, or you can visit the website at www.deddie.gr.